Saturday, January 7, 2012

Christmas Morn

This year we were at home for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. Trent cooked a big meal on Christmas Eve and we went to service at church with Nana. It was fun to wrap presents in the late hours with Trent as we were both giddy with anticipation of Santa's arrival. We focus a lot on the true meaning of Christmas and we throughly celebrate the birth of our Saviour. But we also enjoy the excitement and whimsey of Santa and the loot he brings. We don't do a ton of presents in our home. The kids typically get one gift from Santa, one gift from their siblings and one or two gifts from us. We also do small stocking stuffers. Sometimes Trent and I exchange gifts and sometimes, like this year we both expressed larger items that we would like to have before Christmas (he wanted a flat screen tv and I wanted a family photo shoot), works for us!
 
The kids had so much fun looking at all the presents and figuring out which was there "Santa" present.  He usually brings the BEST. This year we had a dilemma.  Grandma and Grandpa Lydic asked what the boys wanted so I told them a few things that were on the "lists", however Tommy really only wanted one thing, a Bobba Fett costume.  They said they would get it for him and I figured we could find some other things that he would enjoy, win, win.  Well, on Christmas Eve there was discussion about how ONLY Santa could bring the costume because that is what Tommy had asked for when we visited Santa.  NO ONE else could bring, it HAD to come from Santa.  An emergency call was sent to Grandpa Lydic who chuckled and gave the ok for a present switch, and diverted a MAJOR catastrophe :)

We spent all morning in our pajamas and had a huge breakfast.  It was so fun to watch the kids enjoying their presents and playing nicely together.  Even Penny got into opening presents, it was precious and I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for our family and all the blessings we have been given.  My heart overflowed with love as I watched my dear sweet husband playing with our children, making us a lovely brunch and snuggled up on the couch with me drinking coffee and watching all the fun.  I am truly blessed on so many levels and thank our Heavenly Father.



And after all our fun at home we headed over to spend the afternoon with my sister and her family and my parents.  We had a nice dinner and exchanged gifts with them and the cousins ran around like crazy maniacs and everyone dotted over Penny who decided to charm us all and take her first steps from Nana to Grandpa!  Man does she know the way to my Dad's heart :)

It was a truly wonderful Christmas and I think we all needed to make some new traditions and be together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment