Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sentimental

Penny 6 months in her bassinet
The first night at home, Penny slept next to our bed in her bassinet.  Her first hand-me-down from her older brother Thomas.  I remember looking at her every breath, just thanking God for yet again another little miracle. For 5 months she would peacefully rest next to us.  Trent and I would fall asleep listening to her sweet baby sounds.  It was such a good feeling for her to be so close to us.

Charlie sharing a sentimental moment with Mommy and Penny
 Each night I would kiss her sweet little fuzzy head as she drifted off to sleep.  I often wake up in the middle of the night and lean over her as she slept, resting my head on the side of her bed.  So many prayers were said in that space.  So much gratitude was poured out there.  I eagerly woke to her coos of hunger and cradled her in my arms.
The view from my spot on the bed
At 4 1/2 months Penny started taking naps in her big girl crib in her room.  By 5 months old she left our room for good.  I knew it was time as we kept waking her up when we would go to bed for the night.  We all are sleeping better in our own spaces, but I do miss waking up to this sweet face each morning.

I took these pictures the other day when I decided it was time to put the bassinet away.  It has been sitting empty next to our bed for over 6 weeks.  It might sound silly but it took me that long to be ok with taking it down. When I was taking the pictures and explaining to Charlie why we needed to take the bed down, he even got sentimental.  I said "Charlie, baby is growing up so fast", and he said to me "I know Mama, she is getting too big".

All these little milestones that Penny is reaching are so exciting and yet they pull at my heartstrings.  It makes me sad that my baby is growing up so quickly.  I just wish that time would slow down a bit.  I want to hold onto each of these moments and cherish even the small things, like a final rest in a sweet little bassinet.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I often wish I could freeze the moment. I think it is worse when it is Ricky because he is my "true baby" I hate that he doesn't need to hold my hand walking down the steps anymore. They get to big to fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy can I relate to this post! I have been happy because even though Jack is in a 'bed' now, it is still his crib with just a side removed. I am the worst when it comes to change, especially when that change has to do with growing up and things changing forever in certain ways.

    I loved this post Beth.

    ReplyDelete