Sunday, January 3, 2010

Freezer Cooking Day Part I


Due to some road blocks, ie defrosting freezer (thank you tommy...cough cough :), I needed to start our Freezer Cooking Day sooner rather then later.

Wednesday, with 3 small children under foot, I began the process. Seasoned and browned 2 chuck roasts and threw them in the crockpot with sauteed onions. The meat will be shredded and used in several Mexican dishes.

I also made 2 double batches of blueberry muffins. Again, Thomas was a huge help. He is a baker at heart.

The night before the big cook off I chopped onions and green peppers and made sure that all of the meat that I needed was defrosted. In hindsight I am thankful that I did some prep work the day before and will certainly do more the next time.

Cook off day started for me around 9:30am. Trent decided that he wanted his sleep in day to be on Friday so I got to sleep in a bit before I started to cook, which I think helped sustain me through the day. Because it was a long but very productive day!

I know that I am so lucky to have a husband that is more then happy to play with our boys all day long, refeer them, take the out in the snow and even on a shopping trip to the Dollar Store and Target. All while I was hard at work making this.................

Chili x2
Lasagna x2
Meatloaf x2
Whole Wheat Waffles x3
Meatballs x2
Broccoli Cheese Chicken Rice x2
Slab Apple Pie x2
Turkey Pot Pie x1
Shredded Beef
Enchilada Casserole
Freezer Mashed Potatoes xx2
Turkey Tetrazinni x3
Ranch Potato Wedges x2
Plain Potato Wedges x2
Blueberry Muffins
Banana Muffins
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Bean Burritos x8
Beef Stew

Plus I added:
Lentil and Ham Soup in the crockpot
Honey Muffins X2

I am very pleased with how the day unfolded and Trent says that so is he. I started around 9:30am, took a short break for lunch and then went through dinner and ended at 6:30pm, just in time to cuddle with all my guys and put them to bed for the night.

I even had lots of help in the kitchen!

I would like to try and maybe do all the cooking in 2 half days during the week and see how it goes with just me and the little fellas. But I will most likely take up my honey again on a weekend cook off.

What I would do differently is prepare more the day before and try and do my grocery shopping only 1 or 2 days before since our entire freezer, fridge and cabinets were busting from the seams with all the ingredients!



No comments:

Post a Comment