Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Getting Ready For Baby: Freezer Cooking


In the next 2 weeks I plan on doing our mega freezer cooking marathon to stock the basement freezer with dinners and quick meals for when the baby is born. I came across some new recipes that I wanted to try out beforehand just in case they were flops. I learned my lesson after making a slew of meals that sounded great but in the end I had a freezer full of "yuckies" as Tommy said after eating one of the said meals.

Today while the boys were napping and Trent was doing some work I whipped up:
2 dozen Banana Cinnamon Muffins
1 dozen of Banana Cinnamon Muffin Bites
1 Beef Roast, half for dinner the other half for spicy tacos
2 dozen Sloppy Joe Cornbread Muffins
1 batch laundry detergent
6 Bacon, Egg and Bacon Breakfast sandwiches

The Banana Cinnamon Muffins are a favorite in our house. We can literally go through a dozen a day! The boys love them for breakfast or a quick snack. I altered the original recipe a bit to make it healthier.

Ingredients
1/4c white sugar
1t ground cinnamon
3/4c butter
3 c white sugar (I use Splenda)
3 eggs
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16oz) container sour cream (I only use 8oz)
2t vanilla extract
2t ground cinnamon
1/2t salt
3t baking soda
4.5c all purpose flour (I use 1c white flour, 3.5c wheat flour)

Directions
1.Preheat oven 300 degrees. Grease muffin pan. Stir 1/4c sugar and 1t cinnamon together in a small bowl. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture. We usually just use the cinnamon.

2. Cream butter and 3c sugar (or splenda). Mix in eggs, bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Put in muffin tins.

Bake 15-20 or until fork comes out clean. If making bread instead of muffins, bake for 1 hour.
Sloppy Joe Cornbread Muffins
Cornbread muffin mix:
1c cornmeal
1c wheat flour
1t baking powder
1t salt
2 eggs
2T honey
1/4c melted butter
1c buttermilk

Directions:
1. Stir together dry ingredients, add eggs, honey, butter and buttermilk. Stir.

Sloppy Joes:
I cheated and used Manwich with browned ground turkey

Spoon the cornbread mixture into a greased muffin tin, about half full. Then put a large Tablespoon of sloppy joe mixture in the center of each muffin tin.

I think I baked these at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, can't remember.
Breakfast Sandwiches

So incredibly simple!

Stirred 5 eggs then poured into 6 greased muffin tin. Baked at 375 degrees until done...20 minutes?

Meanwhile I cooked 6 strips of turkey bacon and toasted 6 English muffins.
When the eggs are done let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Make sandwiches, English Muffin, egg, bacon, slice of American cheese, top off with other half of English muffin. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and place all in a freezer ziploc bag.
When ready to eat unwrap and heat in microwave until warm, you can also place the sandwich in a damp paper towel when reheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment