Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My favorite time of the day.

My favorite part of the day is the children's bedtime. I nurse Penny in the rocking chair that Nie Nie and Papa bought for us when Charlie was born.  Her yellow rooms glows with the setting sun.  She snuggles close to me and holds on tightly to my finger.  I am filled with love and gratitude.

I can hear Trent wrestling with the boys in the next room.  Little Bear is playing in the background and Tommy's laughter fills the house.  Charlie runs to gather his Lovie, Kitty, Puppy and soft pillow for the night.

Penny has fallen asleep in my arms.  I hold her for a few extra minutes watching her breathe.  She is beautiful.  I carefully lift her into her crib, kiss her forehead and ask Jesus to watch over her as she sleeps.

Daddy and Charlie at bedtime 2006
I snuggle up with my boys and we watch our favorite bedtime show.  Tommy usually can't get close enough to Trent and Charlie prefers to lay at the bottom  of the bed, resting his head on my hip. 

And then a flurry of activity as the boys race off to brush teeth and wash faces.  Trent and I repeatedly quiet them in effort to keep Penny asleep.

Trent reads with Charlie curled up in our bed while Tommy and I read stories by flashlight in the big boys room.  Prayers are said, songs are sung and plenty of hugs and kisses are given and given again.  Last minute potty breaks and another sip of water and then it is lights out and time for Daddy and Mommy.

I love my family. I love our life.

There isn't anywhere else I would rather be.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you said - "I hold her for a few extra minutes..." With each baby we've been given I realize how quickly that chance passes and I too hold and snuggle for as many extra minutes as I can. Your daughter is so beautiful and obviously a treasured gift to your family this past year. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is such a sweet post and I agree with every word of it. I know exactly how you feel. I loved reading this Beth.

    ReplyDelete